Email marketing is an indispensable tool in the modern real estate industry. However, managing email deliverability is not a 'set it and forget it' task. This blog will deep-dive into everything you need to know about email deliverability and list maintenance.
What is Email Deliverability?
Email deliverability is the measure of the success your email campaigns have in reaching the inbox without being flagged as spam or bouncing back. Deliverability depends on multiple factors, from ISP guidelines to user engagement.
Key Email Metrics
- Hard Bounces: Emails that are rejected permanently due to invalid addresses or domains.
- Soft Bounces: Temporary failures like a full mailbox. Soft bounces can become hard bounces if not addressed.
- Opens: The number of recipients who open your email.
- Clicks: The number of clicks on links within the email content.
- Spam Traps/Honeypots: Email addresses used to catch spammers. Never send emails to these addresses.
Anti-spam software works by analyzing incoming emails against a set of criteria:
Blacklists: Lists of known spammers.
Content Filters: Analyze email content for spam-like elements.
User Behavior: Opens, clicks, and other interactions.
Some software automatically opens emails or clicks links to verify their content, so metrics might show false positives.
Email Glossary Terms
ISP (Internet Service Provider): The service that provides internet access, e.g., Comcast, Verizon.
Email Clients: Applications used to access and manage a user's email, e.g., Gmail, Outlook.
Best Practices for Keeping an Email List Healthy
- Avoid Role-Based Emails: Addresses like "contact@" or "info@" are usually not monitored and can harm your engagement rates.
- Regular Cleaning: Use an email cleaning service to remove hard bounces, unsubscribed addresses, and spam traps.
- Segmentation: Group your list based on engagement, interest, or other factors to send targeted emails.
- Re-engagement Campaigns: Identify and re-engage inactive subscribers.
Why Use an Email Cleaning Service?
Cleaning services automate the list hygiene process, saving time and improving accuracy. They can also help you maintain a positive sender reputation.
Why Do Emails Go Bad or Get Abandoned?
- Employee Turnover: Corporate emails get abandoned when people change jobs.
- Lack of Relevance: Over time, interests change, leading to disengagement.
Why You Shouldn't Purchase Email Lists
- Low Engagement: Purchased lists often have low-quality leads.
- Legal Risks: Spam laws like CAN-SPAM require consent before emailing.
Building an Email List the Right Way
- Opt-in Forms: On your website and social media.
- Value-Added Content: Ebooks, webinars, and other resources in exchange for an email address.
- Networking Events: Collect business cards and ask for permission to add them to your list.
- Referrals: Incentivize current subscribers to refer others.
Effective email marketing is not just about compelling content and catchy subject lines. Your efforts will be in vain if your emails don't reach the inbox. By understanding and implementing best practices in email deliverability and list maintenance, you position your real estate business for greater success.
Keep your list clean, your engagement high, and your content valuable, and you'll be well on your way to email marketing success.